Serves 6 to 8
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups soy sausage, crumbled
- 1 pound tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups soy milk or other dairy-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 to 10 slices bread
What you do:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the soy sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the tofu, soy milk, thyme, fennel seed, and salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Blend in the sausage mixture and set aside. Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and place it in a lightly oiled shallow 9x13 baking dish. Pour the sausage mixture evenly over the bread and set aside until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Bake the casserole until puffy and lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm.
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!