Makes 24 cookies
What you need:
For the cookies:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 tablespoon almond milk
1-1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon dry-roasted flaxseed
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the fudge:
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer (or an electric hand mixer), whisk together oil, sugar, molasses, and almond milk.
3. Remove whisk and attach the flat beater. To wet mixture, add flour, flaxseed, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. Continue mixing on medium speed until dough forms.
4. Scoop out approximately 1 tablespoon of dough, roll into ball, and place onto cookie sheet. Continue with remaining dough. Then, using your thumb, carefully make a thump print into each ball.
5. Bake for 10–12 minutes. Remove cookies from oven, and place on cooling rack. If the centers have puffed up, carefully press down centers with your thumb.
6. While cookies are cooling, in a small saucepan over low heat add almond milk and agave nectar. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, and add chocolate chips. Stir until chips are totally melted. Let the chocolate cool completely.
7. Spoon cooled fudge into the centers of each cookie.
Check out all of our 2015 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest Winners!
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!