All the delicious, festive gingerbread flavors are brought together in these chewy and fudgy bars from the Fantastic Vegan Cookies cookbook. Salty miso balances out the sugary sweet gingerbread cookie for an added depth of flavor.
What you need:
1 cup pitted Medjool dates
¾ cup vegan butter
½ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons brown rice miso paste
1½ cups flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
⅔ cup vegan whipped cream
⅓ cup vegan cream cheese
⅓ cup sweetened cranberry jam
⅓ cup cranberries
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Into a saucepan over medium heat, add dates, butter, and brown sugar, and stir constantly until dates are mostly dissolved. Add miso paste, remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, baking soda, and salt. Add in wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until dough is smooth.
- Into prepared baking pan, press dough evenly and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan completely before removing.
- For the frosting, in a bowl, mix whipped cream, cream cheese, and cranberry jam with a spoon until smooth. Spread frosting on top of gingerbread and cut into squares. Sprinkle with cranberries.