Everyone loves the aroma of homemade cookies fresh out of the oven, especially when those cookies are made with peanut butter. Thick, rich, and with just the right amount of sweetness, our veganized version of soft peanut butter cookies make for an indulgent comfort snack or a delicious no-fuss dessert. Whip up a batch in no time, and watch them disappear!
Makes 4 dozen
What you need:
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons water
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup vegan butter
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
½ cup granulated sugar
⅔ cup turbinado sugar, divided
1¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together ground flaxseed and water.
2. In a large bowl, using a stand or handheld mixer on medium speed, cream together flaxseed mixture, peanut butter, vegan butter, vanilla bean paste, sugar, and ½ cup turbinado sugar.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add peanut butter mixture and continue mixing until fully incorporated (dough will be thick and crumbly).
4. Working in batches, form dough into 1-inch balls and roll each piece in the remaining ⅓ cup turbinado sugar. On a non-stick baking sheet, place balls 3 inches apart. Using fork tines, lightly press a criss-cross pattern into each ball of dough.
5. Bake cookies for 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then place on a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Store in an airtight container.
Photo courtesy of Holly V. Gray