If you’re vegan, chances are you love Moby. The vegan musician is an ardent animal activist who just so happens to love strawberry shortcake. To celebrate Veganuary (and Moby), we’re sharing our recipe for strawberry shortcake to help you cure those “Natural Blues.”
What you need:
1½ cups vegan butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
For the cream:
1 can (13 ounces) full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
⅓ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
What you do:
1. For the shortcakes, into a bowl, cream together margarine, vanilla, and sugar. Stir in flour and mix into a dough. Cover the dough in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 320 degrees, and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Roll out the chilled dough to approximately ¼-inch thickness and, using a cookie cutter, cut into rounds. Place rounds onto the tray, and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
3. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes.
4. For the cream, chill a large mixing bowl for 10 minutes. Then, take the chilled, hardened coconut milk from the refrigerator and scrape out the thickened cream, leaving behind the liquid.
5. Beat for 30 seconds until creamy, and add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
6. Slice fresh strawberries and cover one shortcake with them. Cover with cream, and add another shortcake to the top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and half a strawberry to serve.
Photo courtesy of Chris Shoebridge
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of