Makes 36 mini cupcakes
What you need:
For the cupcakes:
1½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cups vegan milk
½ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 24-cup mini-cupcake pans with 36 mini-cupcake liners and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fill cupcake liners about three-quarters full with batter. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool cupcakes completely. When cooled, run a sharp knife around each cupcake to loosen and use tip of knife to gently pry cupcake out of pan.
- For the frosting, using a handheld or stand mixer, beat shortening until smooth. With mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk at a time, as needed, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. You may not need to use all of the non-dairy milk. Beat mixture on high for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
- To decorate the cupcakes, frost top of each cupcake with a thin layer of frosting. Divide remaining frosting into two bowls. In one bowl, mix in a few drops of blue food coloring. In other bowl, mix in a few drops of black food coloring. Fit two piping bags with two small round tips. Fill one piping bag with blue frosting and the other with black frosting. Pipe an eyeball design on each cupcake, as pictured. Then use a toothpick to paint on “bloodshot” red squiggly lines for full effect.
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of