A vegan potluck just isn’t a potluck without something sweet. Which is why we’ve teamed up with our friends at Hampton Creek for these sumptuous, melt-in-your-mouth cupcakes just in time for the holiday festivities. Pure pumpkin, seasonal spices, and a surprise addition of a little vegan mayo combine for the ultimate party delight.
What you need:
For the cupcakes:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for dusting
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon fine salt
1⅓ cups granulated sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
1 cup pumpkin purée
For the frosting:
16 tablespoons salted vegan butter, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons unsweetened soy or almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Into a medium bowl, place flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. Mix sugar, oil, vegan mayonnaise, and pumpkin purée in an electric mixer, or use a hand mixer. Beat on medium speed until sugar is dissolved, approximately 4 minutes.
4. Beat in flour mixture with mixer on low speed. Divide mixture evenly among muffin wells and bake until a knife inserted into a cupcake comes out clean, approximately 25 minutes.
5. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely, approximately 45 minutes.
6. For the frosting, place all ingredients in bowl of an electric mixer, or hand mixer, and beat on low speed until just combined, approximately 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes.
7. Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting. Dust with freshly grated nutmeg.
Photo courtesy of Hampton Creek