The popular Tex-Mex breakfast migas often includes scrambled eggs, crispy tortilla strips, peppers, chiles, onions, and chorizo. For our vegan version, we’ve fired up the grill and are infusing the dish with charred vegetables, a savory tofu scramble, and avocado topping.
What you need:
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided, plus more for grilling
6 corn tortillas
1 roma tomato, cut in half lengthwise
½ red bell pepper, cut into strips
½ poblano pepper, cut into strips
4 scallions, tops and bottoms trimmed
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (14-ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¾ teaspoon black salt, divided
½ teaspoon granulated onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1½ teaspoons ground flaxseeds, mixed with 1½ tablespoons water
¼ cup shredded cheddar-style vegan cheese
Sliced avocado, for garnish
Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
What you do:
- Brush oil on grill or grill pan, and heat to high. Place 2 tortillas directly on grill, and toast for 3 minutes per side, or until almost crisp. Chop into 1-inch square pieces and set aside.
- Into a bowl, add 2 teaspoons oil, tomatoes, bell pepper, poblano, scallions, salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss to coat well. Grill tomatoes, peppers, and scallions on both sides until tender and grill marks appear. Let cool, roughly chop, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add tofu, nutritional yeast, turmeric, ½ teaspoon black salt, and granulated onion. Mash together with hands until tofu is crumbled and everything is combined.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add garlic and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tofu mixture and press into an even layer in the pan. Let fry untouched for 4 to 5 minutes, or until underside is lightly browned. Toss and cook another 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flaxseed mixture until well combined with tofu.
- Fold in grilled tortillas, tomatoes, peppers, and scallions. Stir and cook until tortillas have slightly softened. Season with remaining ¼ teaspoon black salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and cover pan for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese melts. Garnish with avocado and cilantro, and serve immediately with remaining 4 warmed tortillas on the side.
Photo credit: Eric Isaac
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!