Homemade ranchero sauce, a flavorful tomato and chili pepper-based sauce, takes these breakfast tacos from the Cook. Heal. Go Vegan! cookbook up a notch. Pair with mimosas or Bloody Mary’s for the ultimate Sunday brunch.
What you need:
For the tacos:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium sweet potato, thinly sliced
½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup vegetable broth, divided
1 cup thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
½ teaspoon granulated garlic
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 (14-ounce) block firm tofu, drained
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon black salt
10 corn tortillas
Thinly sliced radishes, for garnish
Finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Avocado slices, for garnish
For the ranchero sauce:
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ medium yellow onion, diced
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (4-ounce) can mild green chilies, undrained
½ small jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
2 large tomatoes, diced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
¼ packed cup fresh cilantro, minced
What you do:
- For the tacos, in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add sweet potato, onion, and salt. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until sweet potato starts to soften. Add mushrooms, granulated garlic, and black pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Mix in broth to deglaze pan. Into pan, crumble tofu. Add turmeric and black salt and mix well.
- Reduce heat to low and cook scramble for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- For the ranchero sauce, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add onion and ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook mixture for 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in garlic, remaining salt, and green chilies with juice. Cook mixture for 1 minute, and stir in jalapeño, tomatoes, cumin, and paprika. Stir sauce, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook sauce for 7 to 10 minutes.
- For a chunky sauce, simmer for another 10 minutes. For a smooth sauce, transfer sauce to a blender and blend until sauce reaches desired consistency. Add lime juice and cilantro. If sauce was blended, return to saucepan. Cover and set aside to keep warm.
- Warm tortillas by cooking over open flame of stove for 30 seconds on each side, until brown on edges. If you have an electric stove, heat a dry large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, and warm tortillas for 30 seconds on each side. Transfer to a tortilla warmer to steam.
- Place 2 to 3 tortillas onto serving plates. Top with tofu scramble, ranchero sauce, radishes, cilantro, and avocado and serve.