For a satisfying sweet treat, we bring you a veganized version of a holiday classic—from VegNews Food Editor Joni Marie Newman’s Vegan Food Gifts—complete with the bold flavor of orange cookies and gooey chocolate ganache.
What you need:
1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup vegan butter
¼ cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
For ganache filling:
½ cup cream from refrigerated can of coconut milk
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1 tablespoon orange extract
What you do:
- For the cookies, in a small mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, butter, orange juice, vanilla, and orange extract until combined. Slowly add in flour mixture, and beat until well combined.
- Onto a floured surface, knead dough until soft and smooth. Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, then divide in half. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using a linzer cookie cutter, cut 36 tops and 36 bottoms. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, and cool. Sprinkle powdered sugar over tops.
- For the filling, in a small saucepan, heat coconut cream until it begins to boil. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips and orange extract, stir, and combine until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, spread 1 teaspoon of ganache onto a cookie bottom and top with another to make a cookie sandwich. Repeat with remaining ganache and cookies, and serve.
Photo courtesy of Fairwinds Press
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of