If you’re wild about hot spices and love sweet potatoes, this recipe is for you! A vegan take on traditional potato masala, this dish swaps in healthy sweet potatoes for an added nutritional boost to create the ultimate spicy comfort food.
What you need
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 tablespoon cumin seed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon serrano chili, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1 large yellow onion, slivered
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
What you do
1. Into a large pot, boil sweet potato cubes until soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Into a wok or pan, heat oil on medium. Add cumin seed, stir lightly, and cook for approximately 1 minute.
3. Add garlic, chili, and ginger, and gently stir. Cook for approximately 2 minutes.
4. Add onion and ¼ teaspoon salt. Increase heat, and cook until onions wilt. Add turmeric and stir.
5. Into the wok or pan, add sweet potatoes, and stir well so potatoes are covered with spice mixture.
6. Add ¾ teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and cilantro, and mix well. Allow mixture to cook for approximately 5 minutes, and serve.
Photo courtesy of Susan Tucker