Pizza can be healthful and mouthwatering all at the same time, and this veg-forward, flavor-packed pie from Heather Whinney’s Virtually Vegan proves it. Pro tip: sprinkle with a bit of vegan cheese for a more classic take on pizza.
What you need:
4 cups ‘00’ flour or strong white flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
1 sachet instant active dried yeast
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
1½ cups warm water
4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing
For the toppings:
8 tablespoons tomato purée
2 ounces portobello mushrooms, finely sliced
4 zucchinis, sliced into ribbons
⅛ teaspoon chili flakes
¼ cup truffle oil
1 handful basil leaves, to garnish
A few oregano leaves, to garnish
What you do:
- For the pizza dough, into a stand mixer, add flour, yeast, and salt. Make a well in the middle and slowly pour in water. Using the dough beaters, beat until mixture comes together, then add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and continue to mix until a dough is formed. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until dough softens and becomes spongy.
- Place dough in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a dish towel and leave in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to its highest setting and place a baking sheet in oven.
- On a lightly floured surface, place dough and knead for three minutes, then divide into four equal balls.
- Using your hands, roll and stretch 1 ball to 10 inches in diameter. Lightly oil the hot baking sheet and carefully place dough on to sheet. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato purée, spreading to cover evenly. Top with a quarter of mushrooms and zucchini, sprinkle with chili flakes, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon truffle oil. Bake for 10 minutes until golden. Remove and continue with remaining 3 pizza dough balls and toppings. Garnish with basil and oregano, slice into triangles, and serve.
Photo credit: Nourish Books
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!