There’s nothing better than waking up to the smell of sweet cinnamon rolls wafting through your home. Treat your loved ones and yourself with this comforting recipe from the Easy Low-Cal Vegan Eats cookbook.
What you need:
For the cinnamon rolls:
1 cup warm almond milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup melted vegan butter
½ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
2½ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup softened vegan butter
⅔ cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the cream cheese icing:
½ cup vegan cream cheese
4 tablespoons softened vegan butter
1½ cups powdered sugar
What you do:
- For the cinnamon rolls, in a large bowl, mix warm milk, maple syrup, melted butter, and salt. Sprinkle yeast over top and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Stir in flour and mix until a dough forms. Cover dough bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Once dough has risen, place on floured surface and roll into a ½-inch rectangle. If dough is too sticky to roll, add more flour. Spread butter on sheet of dough, followed by sugar, then cinnamon. Roll into a log and cut into 8 to 10 rounds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a baking dish, place wheels and cover with a towel. Allow to sit and rise for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Remove towel and place in oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, until golden and fluffy.
- For the cream cheese icing, in a medium bowl, add all ingredients and use a hand mixer to beat. Spread over warm cinnamon rolls and enjoy immediately.
Photo credit: Jillian Glenn
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!