Garlic bread gets a step-up in these savory, yeasted baked swirls from the So Vegan in 5 cookbook. Serve as a side at your next dinner party or bring a basket full to your next potluck for a crowd-pleasing baked treat.
What you need:
2 cups white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
½ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon instant dry yeast
⅔ cup warm water
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup vegan margarine
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
What you do:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour with salt and yeast, then make a well in the middle. Pour water into well, along with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix ingredients together until dough forms, then transfer to a well-floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil medium bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, then place dough in bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Leave it to proof somewhere warm for 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.
- In a frying pan over high heat, warm remaining tablespoon oil. Add mushrooms to pan and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Into a medium bowl, add garlic, fried mushrooms, margarine, salt, and pepper, and stir. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Punch dough a few times to remove air bubbles and transfer to a well-floured work surface. Flour rolling pin and roll dough into a rectangle roughly 12 x 4 inches. Trim edges to create neat straight lines. Spread mushroom and garlic filling over entire surface of dough, then roll into a log. Create individual swirls by cutting log into slices at 1-inch intervals.
- Arrange swirls in a circle in an ovenproof dish spaced 1⁄2 inch apart, and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Leave to proof for another 20 minutes. Bake swirls for 20 minutes until dough turns a light golden brown color.
- Remove from oven and brush top of swirls with any melted margarine that has collected in middle of dish. Serve warm.
Photo credit: So Vegan
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of