This cure-all soup from The Healthspan Solution cookbook is packed with the healing powers of garlic and ginger, and makes for a delicious, easily customizable dinner.
What you need:
1 bundle (90 grams) udon noodles
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 bunches scallions, sliced (reserving 2 tablespoons of green portion for garnish)
4 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and tops sliced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons tamari
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
1 (15-ounce) package firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes
½ cup shredded red cabbage
½ cup shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
¼ teaspoon black pepper
What you do:
- Cook udon noodles according to package directions, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, heat a large stockpot. Once hot, sauté ginger and scallions with 2 tablespoons water until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and another tablespoon of water and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Push ingredients to side of pot and drizzle sesame oil in center. Add garlic to oil and sauté for 1 minute or until golden, being careful not to scorch. Combine all ingredients by stirring.
- Add vegetable broth and tamari, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, rice vinegar, tofu, cabbage, and carrots, and simmer for 2 minutes more. Add black pepper.
- To each bowl, add desired portion of udon noodles and ladle broth, tofu, and vegetables on top. Garnish with reserved scallion greens.
Subscribe now to the world’s #1