The key to making cornbread croutons and stuffing is to bake it in a loaf pan like this recipe from the Show Up for Salad cookbook. The thin walls of the loaf pan will create a drier crust, resulting in the perfect consistency.
What you need:
2 cups yellow cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
¼ cup melted refined coconut oil
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8½ x 4-inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and flaxseeds. Set aside for 2 minutes to allow vinegar to curdle milk and flaxseeds to soak up liquid. Whisk in oil.
- Form a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients (small lumps in batter are fine). Do not overmix.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes. Insert a sharp knife into center of loaf and when knife emerges clean, it’s done. If batter is still a little wet, bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
Photo credit: Terry Hope Romero
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!