The key to making cornbread croutons and stuffing is to bake it in a loaf pan like this recipe from the Show Up for Salad cookbook. The thin walls of the loaf pan will create a drier crust, resulting in the perfect consistency.
What you need:
2 cups yellow cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
¼ cup melted refined coconut oil
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8½ x 4-inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and flaxseeds. Set aside for 2 minutes to allow vinegar to curdle milk and flaxseeds to soak up liquid. Whisk in oil.
- Form a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients (small lumps in batter are fine). Do not overmix.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes. Insert a sharp knife into center of loaf and when knife emerges clean, it’s done. If batter is still a little wet, bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
Photo credit: Terry Hope Romero
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!