Serve up this slightly nutty, buttery pasta from the Plantiful cookbook with grilled tempeh or breaded tofu for a complete plant-based meal.
What you need:
1 (12-ounce) package tagliatelle pasta
¾ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
¾ cup vegan milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus more for garnish
Juice of 3 lemons
¼ cup shredded or grated vegan parmesan, plus more for garnish
¼ teaspoon salt
4 lemon slices, for garnish
What you do:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Into a high-speed blender, add cashews and milk and blend on high speed for 1 minute, until cashews are fully broken down and mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Into a large sauté pan over medium heat, add oil, vegan butter, and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Into sauté pan, add cashew cream, lemon zest, juice, and vegan parmesan. Reduce heat to low, mix with a wooden spoon, and cook until pasta is done.
- Scoop out 1 cup of pasta cooking water, then pour ½ cup of it into sauce and stir. Drain pasta and pour into pan with sauce.
- Using tongs or a spoon, toss pasta to coat in sauce. If too dry, add more of reserved pasta water. Stir in salt.
- Onto 4 serving plates, divide pasta evenly. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest and vegan parmesan and serve with a lemon slice.
Photo credit: Francesca Bonadonna
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!