Serve up this slightly nutty, buttery pasta from the Plantiful cookbook with grilled tempeh or breaded tofu for a complete plant-based meal.
What you need:
1 (12-ounce) package tagliatelle pasta
¾ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
¾ cup vegan milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus more for garnish
Juice of 3 lemons
¼ cup shredded or grated vegan parmesan, plus more for garnish
¼ teaspoon salt
4 lemon slices, for garnish
What you do:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Into a high-speed blender, add cashews and milk and blend on high speed for 1 minute, until cashews are fully broken down and mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Into a large sauté pan over medium heat, add oil, vegan butter, and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Into sauté pan, add cashew cream, lemon zest, juice, and vegan parmesan. Reduce heat to low, mix with a wooden spoon, and cook until pasta is done.
- Scoop out 1 cup of pasta cooking water, then pour ½ cup of it into sauce and stir. Drain pasta and pour into pan with sauce.
- Using tongs or a spoon, toss pasta to coat in sauce. If too dry, add more of reserved pasta water. Stir in salt.
- Onto 4 serving plates, divide pasta evenly. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest and vegan parmesan and serve with a lemon slice.
Photo credit: Francesca Bonadonna
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!