Get a taste of summer with this superfood-spiked, tropical cream tart from the Eat More Plants cookbook featuring sweet, juicy pineapple and fiery ginger.
What you need:
For the macadamia cookie crust:
1 cup raw macadamia nuts
½ cup gluten-free oat flour
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup coconut oil, plus more for greasing pan
3 tablespoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon salt
For the pineapple ginger cream:
2 cups roughly chopped fresh pineapple
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours, drained, and rinsed
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon turmeric
2 cups finely diced pineapple
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round tart pan with coconut oil.
- For the crust, in a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until a thick paste forms. Press into prepared pan (including sides), and chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove crust from freezer, prick with a fork four times, and bake until golden, 13 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For pineapple ginger cream, into a blender, add roughly chopped pineapple, cashews, maple syrup, lemon juice, water, ginger, and turmeric. Blend until smooth.
- Once crust is completely cooled, sprinkle with diced pineapple, pour pineapple ginger cream over top, and freeze for at least 30 minutes to set.
Photo credit: Desiree Nielsen