Serve these vegetable-forward meatballs from the Vegan Fakeout cookbook with egg-free pasta cooked until al dente, or loaded into sub rolls for the ultimate hot sandwich.
What you need:
For the meatballs:
3 tablespoons sunflower oil , divided
1 medium eggplant, diced
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 thick slices of white bread
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
⅓ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
For the marinara sauce:
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
What you do:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Add eggplant, onion, and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until gently browned.
- Into a food processor, add bread and pulse into fine breadcrumbs. Place breadcrumbs in a bowl and set aside.
- In the food processor, pulse cooked eggplant mixture until semi-smooth. Add breadcrumbs in three stages, pulsing after each addition, to form a firm mixture. Stir in salt, pepper, and parsley. Allow to cool for three minutes.
- In skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining oil. Roll eggplant mixture into walnut-sized balls and carefully place in oil. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, until golden on top and bottom. Remove from pan, drain on a paper towel-lined plate, and keep warm.
- For the marinara sauce, in a pan over medium heat, warm oil and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and sugar, and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat, stir in parsley and salt. Ladle marinara over meatballs and serve.
Photo credit: Luke Albert
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!