No need to track down your local Girl Scout for a cookie fix, and with this recipe from HealthyGirl Kitchen, vegans can finally get a taste of the coconutty-caramelly Samoas that have long evaded us.
What you need:
What you do:
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a pan over medium heat, toast coconut until golden brown. Stir constantly to prevent burning, about 5 minutes.
- Into a food processor, add coconut and oats. Pulse for 30 seconds. Add dates, vanilla, and salt. Blend until completely combined, and it resembles a crumbly texture that sticks together when rolled into cookies.
- Take 2 tablespoons of dough. Form into a ball then shape into a flat round cookie. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Use a straw to make a hole in center of each cookie. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate chips in a glass measuring cup. Melt by microwaving in 45 second increments until melted, stirring between each increment.
- Remove cookies from freezer and dip bottom of each cookie in melted chocolate and place back on baking sheet. Drizzle chocolate on top using a spoon. Freeze for 15 minutes more to set chocolate.
Photo credit: Danielle Keith
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!