Say hello to the creamiest vegan fettuccine alfredo ever from Lauren Toyota’s Hot For Food Vegan Comfort Classics cookbook. Hot tip: if you’re allergic to nuts, just replace the cashews with the same measurement of soft tofu and use 1⁄2 cup water when blending. Get cooking!
What you need:
For the parm:
⅔ cup raw cashews
1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
For the pasta:
1 pound fettuccine
1 1⁄2 cups raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
1 cup water
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus 2 teaspoons
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1⁄2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
4 cups packed baby spinach
1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
What you do:
- For the parm, in a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until a fine meal is formed. Store in a jar in fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- For the pasta, in a large pot bring salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Drain, but do not rinse.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse cashews. Into a high-powered blender add cashews, water, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Blend until very smooth.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté onion in olive oil for 2 minutes until just softened. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes. When mushrooms are half-cooked and start to release some moisture, stir in garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Once mushrooms have shrunk and released most of their moisture, add white wine and simmer for 7 minutes until most of liquid has reduced.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in basil and parsley, and cook for another minute. Stir in cashew cream and spinach, and slowly stir in stock. Cook for 4 minutes until spinach is wilted, add pasta to pan, toss to combine, and cook for 3 more minutes. Serve immediately and add parm on top to taste.
Photo credit: Lauren Toyota