Pair this savory protein option from the Epic Vegan: Quick & Easy cookbook with lemongrass rice and garlicky vegetables for a full meal. Serving to a family? Make a double batch with extra marinade for dipping!
What you need:
4 6-inch wooden skewers
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 (8-ounce) block tempeh
2 scallions, thinly sliced
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Soak skewers, in a shallow dish of water while preparing sauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine chili garlic sauce, lemon juice, lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, peanut butter, maple syrup, and smoked paprika.
- Cut tempeh in three strips lengthwise and then quarter each strip into 4 triangles for 12 thick triangles in total. The ends will be square, but cut remaining parts into triangles. Toss pieces in bowl with marinade until completely coated. Add 3 pieces to each skewer. Transfer tempeh to prepared sheet pan.
- Use a spoon to drizzle more marinade on each piece. Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip tempeh and use a spoon to drizzle more marinade on pieces, reserving some marinade for finishing. Bake for 10 more minutes, until dry. Turn oven up to broil and broil for 1 to 2 minutes to lightly char edges.
- Transfer tempeh to a serving dish. Drizzle with remaining marinade, and sprinkle with scallions and crushed peanuts.
Photo credit: Ashley Madden