Cozy up to fall with this thick, creamy, nutritious soup recipe from the The Vegan Bean Cookbook. Serve with a crisp fall salad or crusty, rustic sourdough bread for a perfect, simple meal.
What you need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
8 cups pumpkin flesh, finely cubed
½ cup cooked cannellini beans
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
4 cups vegetable stock
½ cup croutons
1 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
What you do:
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add chopped onion, pumpkin, beans, thyme, and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften, then add salt and black pepper.
- Pour in stock, cover pot with a lid, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove pot from heat and take 1 cup of stock out of pot.
- Use an immersion blender to blend mixture in pot until a smooth consistency is reached, adding in reserved stock as needed.
- Between four serving bowls, divide soup, sprinkle croutons, pumpkin seeds, and parsley, and serve immediately.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!