Caramelly 5-Ingredient Vegan Flan
Made with five simple ingredients, this creamy and classic plant-based flan achieves the classic custard-y texture.
March 9, 2022
Creme caramel. Caramel custard. Egg pudding. Caramel pudding. Flan. This dessert from the Cook. Heal. Go Vegan! Cookbook goes by many different names, but is universally known for its smooth, creamy taste and texture.
What you need:
For the flan:
1 cup cashew milk
1 can coconut cream
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
3 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 teaspoon agar agar
For the caramel:
¼ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup filtered water
What you do:
- For the flan, into a high-powered blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Into a small saucepan over medium-low heat, pour flan mixture and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, being careful not to burn. Stir with a whisk consistently the entire time.
- Once desired texture is reached, remove from heat and set aside.
- For the caramel, into a separate saucepan over medium-low heat, add all ingredients. Stir with a rubber spatula consistently for 2 to 4 minutes until contents are reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Into two 5-inch ramekins, pour a thin layer of caramel. Carefully pour flan mixture on top, to the brim. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Remover from refrigerator and place ramekin bottom in 2-inch lukewarm water for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to get any water inside ramekin. Run a butter knife along edges to loosen flan.
- Place a small plate with edges on top of ramekin, squeeze together with both hands, and quickly flip over to release flan onto plate.
Photo credit: Bailey Ruskus