These chickpea-based nuggets from the Eat the Rainbow: Vegan Recipes Made with Love cookbook take just 30 minutes to come together and are delicious dipped in ketchup and served with a side of homemade fries or roasted potatoes.
What you need:
For the crust:
1¼ cups cornflakes, crushed
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup aquafaba
For the nuggets:
1 tablespoon vegetable or sunflower oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
½ cup rolled or whole oats
1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
⅔ cup firm tofu, drained
½ teaspoon yellow mustard
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the crust, onto baking sheet, place cornflakes and panko breadcrumbs. Bake for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- For the nuggets, in a small frying pan over medium heat, warm oil. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes until soft and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor or blender, place oats and process to a fine flour. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until crumbly. Divide mixture into 16 nuggets.
- Into a medium bowl, add aquafaba. In another bowl, add panko mixture. Coat each nugget with aquafaba, then panko mixture. Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.