Shortcut Vegan Apple Pie Turnovers
Premade puff pastry is the key to these super-simple treats that taste like mini apple pies wrapped in flaky buttery pastry.
November 10, 2022
Make your kitchen smell like fresh baked pie, minus all the work, with this quick recipe from the Fast Easy Cheap Vegan cookbook. Unlike pie pastry, puff pastry is surprisingly forgiving and will yield perfectly golden turnovers.
What you need:
2 cups peeled and small diced apples, any kind
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
2 sheets frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
3 tablespoons vegan milk
3 tablespoons sugar
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Into a medium bowl, add apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and mix to evenly coat apples.
- Roll out puff pastry to about ⅛-inch thick. Cut dough into twelve 4-inch squares. Fill each square with about 2 heaping tablespoons of apple filling. Fold pastry in half diagonally over apples to make a triangle, and use a fork to press and crimp edges closed. Repeat with remaining turnovers. Cut three slits in top of each turnover. Carefully transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Brush top of each turnover with milk and sprinkle sugar over top.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until pastry is puffed and golden. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes before serving.