Barbecue season is in full swing, so just for fun, we’ve been adding a Westernized influence to classic Asian flavors in a not-so-average-burger form. In this unique dish, we’re using avocado as the bun, and then a sweet-and-spicy miso mayonnaise, crispy zucchini patty, and salty nori to create the perfect combination of flavor. Serve as a playful appetizer at your next potluck, or enjoy as a delicious main on its own.
What you need:
For the spicy miso mayonnaise:
⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Sriracha
1 teaspoon white miso paste
1 pinch cayenne pepper
For the tempura zucchini patty:
2 cups cake flour, divided
1 cup ice water
Canola oil for frying
1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch pieces
For the burger toppings:
4 avocados, peeled, halved, and pitted
2 tablespoons pickled ginger
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
What you do:
1. For the miso mayonnaise, into a bowl, combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, miso, and cayenne. Whisk and set aside.
2. For the tempura zucchini patty, into a mixing bowl, place one cup flour. Into another bowl, whisk ice water and remaining flour until smooth.
3. Into a large wok or pot, pour oil 2 inches deep, and heat until 350 degrees. Dip zucchini slices into dry flour, remove excess, and dip into tempura batter bowl.
4. Place 4 zucchini pieces into wok or pot and fry, making sure not to overcrowd each batch. Fry for approximately 3 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Transfer to rack to cool.
5. Spread a thick layer of miso mayo onto each half of avocado, and top with zucchini tempura patty, pickled ginger, and nori strips. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and serve.