Like soup, curries tend to build flavor over time. Make the paste for this recipe from the Cook. Heal. Go Vegan! cookbook ahead of time for a rich and vibrant weeknight dish.
What you need:
For the curry paste:
2 scallions, ends removed
½ medium avocado, peeled
¼ yellow onion, chopped
¼ packed cup cilantro leaves and stems
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small jalapeño, deseeded
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup water
For the noodles:
1 teaspoon coconut oil
¼ yellow onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon liquid aminos
1 (14-ounce) block firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 (8-ounce) package brown rice pad Thai noodles
1 medium bunch broccolini, stems removed
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 large avocado, thickly sliced
Chopped scallions, for topping
What you do:
- For the curry paste, into a blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth. Into a medium bowl, pour paste and set aside.
- For the noodles, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm oil. Add onion and ½ teaspoon of salt and cook 1 minute, until onions begin to soften. Add bell pepper and cook 1 minute. Add curry paste and cook 1 minute. Add milk, liquid aminos, and tofu. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook curry for about 5 minutes.
- In a large pot, cook noodles according to package instructions.
- To curry, add broccolini, coconut aminos, lime juice, and avocado. Cover and cook 5 more minutes, until broccolini is tender and bright green.
- Into four serving bowls, add noodles and top with curry. Garnish with scallions.