Pop these tots from the Epic Vegan Quick and Easy cookbook on a sheet pan and you’ll have an impressive appetizer to wow friends and family in just thirty minutes.
What you need:
For the vegan cheddar sauce:
1½ cups pumpkin purée
½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons white miso
3 cups water
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Juice of ½ lemon
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ teaspoons onion powder
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
For the tots:
4 cups frozen tater tots
½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 cup frozen vegan ground beef or crumbled vegan sausage
½ cup roughly chopped white onion
½ cup diced tomato
¼ cup sweet pickle relish
¾ cup prepared vegan cheddar sauce
2 scallions, chopped
What you do:
- For the vegan cheddar sauce, into a blender, add all ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Spread tater tots on prepared sheet pan and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven, and flip tater tots with a spatula. Position tater tots close together until touching to minimize toppings falling through to sheet pan.
- Top with ground beef, onion, tomatoes, relish, and cheese. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cheese is melted and tater tots have turned golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Drizzle with mustard and ketchup, and sprinkle with chopped scallions, and serve.