This tantalizing dessert from the Anything You Can Cook, I Can Cook Vegan cookbook merges the rich, velvety essence of dark chocolate with the satisfying crunch of perfectly baked pretzels, creating a culinary masterpiece that will enchant even the most discerning palates.
What you need:
For the whipped cream:
⅔ cup refined coconut oil
⅔ cup lukewarm soy milk
¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crust:
7 tablespoons vegan butter, melted, plus more for pan
3 cups salted pretzels, finely crushed, plus more, coarsely crushed, to serve
¼ cup demerara sugar
For the filling:
8oz (225g) vegan dark chocolate, more than 70 percent cacao, broken up
¼ cup refined coconut oil
1 (8-ounce) container silken tofu
⅔ cup powdered sugar
½ cup vegan milk
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon espresso powder
¼ teaspoon flaky salt
What you do:
- For the whipped cream, in a microwave-safe bowl, add coconut oil. Melt in 10-second bursts in microwave until just melted. If oil gets hot, set aside to cool to just above room temperature.
- Into a high-speed blender, add soy milk and coconut oil. Blend at highest speed until completely smooth and combined, remove from stand and shake, then blend again.
- Place cream in refrigerator along with bowl of a stand mixer, or a medium mixing bowl, to chill overnight. Once bowl and cream are completely chilled, remove from refrigerator. Pour cream into chilled mixing bowl and fit a stand mixer, with whisk attachment. Whip on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, then whip again until stiff peaks form. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- For the crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly butter a 9-inch pie pan. In a bowl, place all ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. Press mixture evenly over both bottom and sides of pie pan and place in oven to bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool fully on a wire rack, then transfer to refrigerator to chill.
- For the filling, in a double boiler, melt chocolate and coconut oil, stirring frequently.
- Into a high-speed blender, add silken tofu, powdered sugar, milk, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt and blend until completely smooth. Add melted chocolate mixture and blend again.
- Pour mixture into chilled crust and tap gently on counter to flatten filling of pie. Place in refrigerator to chill and set for at least 3 hours. When pie is set, spoon whipped cream on center. Top with crushed pretzels, slice, and serve.