Make your weekend brunch or weekday breakfast extra special with these sweet, buttery, crumbly muffins from the Plantiful cookbook. Pair with a hot cup of coffee or tea for the ultimate comfort moment.
What you need:
For the muffins:
2½ cups flour
⅓ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1¼ cups vegan milk
2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
2 flax eggs (6 tablespoons water + 2 tablespoons ground flax)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumb topping:
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
½ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup vegan butter
2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 12 paper liners in a standard-size muffin pan.
- For the muffins, in a large bowl, add flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon and whisk to combine. Add milk, butter, flax eggs, and vanilla, and mix until a batter has formed.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, dividing evenly. Fill each well about three-quarters full.
- For the crumb topping, in a large bowl, add all ingredients and use back of a fork to mash into small pea-sized crumbles. Divide topping evenly among muffins.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and then sift powdered sugar over top. Enjoy warm.