Vegan Crunchy Chalupa Naan Tacos With Avocado-Ranch Sauce
Beefed-up fried naan tacos drizzled with avocado-ranch are our definition of comfort food.
February 2, 2023
Use the extra zesty Avocado-Ranch Sauce from this recipe from the The Edgy Veg Easy Eats cookbook for dipping each crunchy, beefy, cheesy taco. Indulging has never been so fun.
What you need:
For the Avocado-Ranch Sauce:
½ ripe avocado, mashed
¼ cup vegan sour cream
¼ cup vegan mayo
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 tablespoon unsweetened vegan milk
1½ teaspoons white vinegar
For the tacos:
Vegetable oil, for cooking
1 (1-pound) package vegan ground beef
¼ cup all‑purpose flour
1 (1-ounce) package taco seasoning
1 cup water
1 cup shredded lettuce
½ cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
¼ cup diced tomato
What you do:
- For the Avocado-Ranch sauce, in a small bowl, combine avocado, sour cream, mayo, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, dill, milk, and white vinegar until smooth. Place in refrigerator.
- For the tacos, in a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed saucepan, warm enough oil for frying to 375 degrees. If frying on stovetop, use at least 3 inches of oil.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine vegan ground beef, flour, taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until liquid has reduced by half. Keep warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile, using tongs, deep fry naan one at a time for about 15 seconds, until soft. Remove from oil and immediately fold naan in half using tongs to resemble a taco. Return to hot oil and fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until golden and crunchy. Transfer shells to a wire rack to allow excess oil to drip off. Let oil return to 375 degrees between batches.
- To fill chalupas, into fried naan shells, layer vegan ground beef mixture, Avocado-Ranch Sauce, lettuce, vegan cheese and tomatoes.
Here at VegNews, we live and breathe the vegan lifestyle, and only recommend products we feel make our lives amazing. Occasionally, articles may include shopping links where we might earn a small commission. In no way does this effect the editorial integrity of VegNews.