Serve these Welsh Cakes from The Great British Vegan cookbook warm from the pan with vegan butter and jam or enjoy on their own with a hot cup of tea.
What you need:
1¾ cups self-rising flour, plus extra for dusting
½ cup raisins
¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅓ cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
7 tablespoons vegan butter
3½ tablespoons unsweetened vegan milk
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
What you do:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, raisins, apple pie spice, cinnamon, and sugar. Add butter and rub into flour with fingers until a breadcrumb consistency is achieved.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in milk. Gently stir until a dough is formed.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out 10 2-inch discs.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, warm oil. Fry cakes, in batches, for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and sprinkle with sugar. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Photo credit: Aimee Ryan