This utterly comforting dish from the Smart Plants cookbook won’t just feed your belly—it supplies brain-boosting ingredients such as turmeric and spinach, and gut-healing probiotics from rich coconut yogurt. Win-win!
What you need:
For the Spiced Pistachio Dukkah:
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
½ cup unsalted, toasted, shelled pistachios
2 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
½ teaspoon salt
For the bowl:
1 cup unsweetened coconut-milk yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon teaspoon salt, divided
6 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 medium head)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1½ cups cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
4 cups packed baby spinach
2 tablespoons Pistachio Dukkah
What you do:
- For the Pistachio Dukkah, in a small pan over medium heat, toast fennel and cumin seeds for 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove seeds from pan and let cool for 1 minute. In a spice grinder, grind seeds into a powder. Add pistachios, sesame seeds, and salt. Grind one more minute, leaving some texture. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- For the bowls, in a small bowl, mix yogurt, lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Refrigerate dressing until ready to use.
- In a food processor, place cauliflower and pulse several times until broken down into small bits that resemble rice. Transfer to a large bowl, and set aside.
- In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat, melt coconut oil. When oil is hot, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add cauliflower, water, turmeric, remaining salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Cover skillet, and steam cauliflower mixture over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove lid, toss mixture, and continue to cook for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until all excess moisture has evaporated and cauliflower has dried out slightly (it should resemble fluffy rice). Mix garbanzo beans and spinach into cauliflower and cook for 3 minutes more until spinach is wilted and beans are warm. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spoon cauliflower rice mixture into 4 bowls. Drizzle each bowl with 3 tablespoons of yogurt dressing, and sprinkle top with 2 tablespoons of Pistachio Dukkah. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Photo credit: Oliver Barth