Serve this golden, flaky pastry-topped potato, cauliflower, and green pea pie from the BOSH! On a Budget cookbook at your next dinner party for a flavorful, meatless main.
What you need:
2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces
1 small cauliflower
6 sheets phyllo pastry
Black cumin seeds, for sprinkling
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 green chili, chopped and deseeded
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1½ cups vegetable broth
1¼ cups frozen peas
½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, juiced
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Coconut yogurt, for serving
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Into a large microwaveable bowl, add potatoes and cover. Microwave on high for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Roughly chop cauliflower florets into bite-sized pieces. Add to bowl with potatoes and microwave for 6 minutes.
- Into a small dish, pour two tablespoons oil. Using a pastry brush, brush one sheet of phyllo with oil and sprinkle with nigella seeds. Pinch together and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry. Bake in oven for 6 to 8 minutes until golden, being careful not to burn.
- Into a skillet over high heat, add remaining oil. Add garlic and ginger, and stir. Add chili, salt, curry powder, turmeric, and fennel seeds, and stir. Let cook for one minute.
- Add cooked cauliflower and potato, and stir to coat. Add broth, stir, and cover pan to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove lid and use a fork or potato masher to lightly mash mixture. Add peas and cook for 2 minutes, and then remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice, and mix well.
- Top mixture with phyllo pastry and serve straight from pan with spoonfuls of coconut yogurt.