Tahini and chocolate makes for a winning combination of sweet and bitter, but add in tender, mild sweet potato and you have a recipe for success. This simple, foolproof recipe from The Plant-Forward Solution cookbook expertly sneaks in a serving of vegetables to a beloved dessert.
What you need:
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
2½ tablespoons water
1 packed cup cooked sweet potato flesh
½ cup tahini
½ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup flour
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine ground flax and water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, place flax mixture, sweet potato, tahini, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add sweet potato mixture and stir until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake for 27 to 30 minutes, until edges are visibly baked through and center is set. Let cool completely before slicing and serving.