A night out for sushi comes to your own kitchen thanks to these eye-popping sushi rolls from Anya Kassoff’s Simply Vibrant. Now all you need is the sake.
Makes 8 rolls
What you need:
3 cups cooked forbidden black rice
4 tablespoons brown rice vinegar, divided
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 ripe avocados, quartered
Juice of 1 lemon
8 nori sheets, raw or toasted
24 pieces pickled turnips
Tamari, for serving
What you do:
1. Into a medium bowl, add black rice and drizzle with 2 tablespoons vinegar. Mix to coat evenly. Into a separate bowl, add barley and drizzle with remaining tablespoons of vinegar. Mix to coat evenly.
2. Slice each avocado quarter into three wedges, and place them into a small bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over slices to prevent discoloration.
3. Onto a sushi mat or cutting board, place 1 nori sheet shiny-side down and lines situated horizontally. Measure ¾ cup black rice with wet hands, and cover sheet evenly, leaving a 1-inch border at the side opposite to you, parallel to the horizontal lines of nori.
4. Arrange 3 turnip pieces along edge closest to you, slightly overlapping. Layer with 3 avocado wedges, slightly overlapping as well.
5. With water, lightly moisten the uncovered border of norir. Begin rolling by folding the end closest to you over the filling, squeezing firmly. Continue rolling to the end. The moistened border will stick and seal the roll. Wrap sushi mat around the roll, and squeeze gently to shape. If not using a mat, squeeze roll with your hands to stabilize it. Onto a separate plate or surface, place roll seam-side down, and repeat with remaining nori sheets, alternating portions of black rice and barley, and fillings.
6. Onto a cutting board, place one roll at a time, and slice in half with a sharp, moistened knife. Cut each piece in half once again, and continue cutting each of the four pieces in half one last time. You should have 8 pieces. Repeat this process with the rest of the rolls, and serve with tamari.
Photo courtesy of Masha Davvodova
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!