This towering stack of golden-fried treats—filled with Baileys Almande-spiked cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce and spun sugar—from popular YouTuber Gaz Oakley’s Vegan Christmas cookbook is the definition of a show-stopping dessert.
What you need:
For the doughnut profiteroles:
½ cup almond milk
5 tablespoons vegan butter
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup powdered sugar
6⅓ cups vegetable oil, for frying
For the filling:
1⅓ cups coconut cream
1½ ounces Baileys Almande
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2 tablespoon powdered sugar
For the sauce:
1¼ cups almond milk
3 tablespoon agave nectar
3½ ounces vegan dark chocolate, finely chopped
For the sugar string:
1 cup sugar
What you do:
- For the doughnut profiteroles, in a small saucepan over low heat, add milk and butter, and whisk until butter is melted. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and powdered sugar. Add milk mixture and stir.
- Lightly flour hands and work surface. Roll 2 tablespoons of dough to form a ball. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat a deep-fryer to 340 degrees. Fry 4 balls at a time for 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Lift out of oil with a slotted spoon, shaking off excess oil, transfer onto lined tray, and set aside to cool.
- For the whipped cream, in a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and whisk until thick and creamy. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the chocolate sauce, in a saucepan over low heat, add milk and agave nectar. In a medium bowl, add chopped chocolate. Pour warmed milk over chocolate, and stir until completely melted.
- Cut profiteroles in half lengthways. Pipe generous amounts of cream onto bottom halves and sandwich with top halves.
- Before serving, in a heavy-based pan, melt sugar until golden. Stack profiteroles on a serving plate and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Finally, using a spoon, spin melted sugar around stack.
Photo credit: Gaz Oakley
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!