Almost like a sophisticated version of a Twix candy bar, these mouthwateringly good sweets from the Baked With Love cookbook will satisfy even the most serious chocolate craving.
What you need:
For the caramel sauce:
1 (13.5-ounce) can unsweetened coconut cream
2 cups coconut sugar
2 tablespoons vegan butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the bars:
¾ cup coconut oil, softened
1½ cups cassava flour
¼ cup maple syrup
4 to 6 tablespoons water, chilled
1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 batch caramel sauce
½ teaspoon flaky salt, for garnish
What you do:
- For the caramel sauce, in a large pot over high heat, bring coconut cream to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add coconut sugar, vegan butter, and vanilla extract. Stir until coconut sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for 10 minutes, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove pot from heat and allow sauce to cool for 5 minutes before pouring into an airtight container. Let cool completely before placing in refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- For the bars, line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add flour and use a fork to combine coconut oil with flour until a crumbly texture is achieved. Add maple syrup and water, starting with 4 tablespoons of water and adding more if needed, and continue to mix until a thick dough is formed.
- Evenly press dough into prepared baking pan and place pan in refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
- While crust is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake crust for 15 minutes until lightly golden in color. Set aside.
- Using a double boiler, melt chocolate. Add coconut oil to melted chocolate and mix until incorporated. Set aside.
- Pour caramel sauce over baked crust, smoothing out to edges. Top with melted chocolate mixture and spread chocolate to completely cover caramel. Sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Place bars in freezer to set for 2 hours. When ready to serve, remove from freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes before slicing. Slice into 8 bars and serve.
Photo credit: Brittany Berlin
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!