This super-creamy layered dessert from the So Vegan in 5 cookbook is prepared and served in individual glasses, making them ideal for an elegant dinner party.
What you need:
1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
1⁄2 pound Medjool dates, pitted
8 vegan-friendly oat cookies, such as Belvita
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ripe bananas
2 tablespoons grated dairy-free dark chocolate
What you do:
- To a small bowl, add dates, cover with hot water, and let soak for 10 minutes.
- To a food processor, add cookies and pulse until a few large pieces remain. Divide crushed cookies evenly among 4 short glasses, reserving a small handful for garnish.
- Reserving soaking water, drain dates and add to food processor with 1⁄4 cup of reserved water and salt. Blend until mixture is smooth like caramel, scraping down sides of processor as needed. Spoon a quarter of date caramel into each glass.
- Peel bananas and slice into 1⁄4-inch thick rounds. Add a layer of banana slices to each glass, saving half of slices for another layer.
- Scoop out coconut cream, being careful to avoid water, from can and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip coconut cream until it becomes light and fluffy. Add a heaping tablespoon of coconut cream into each glass and use a small spoon to level tops.
- Top with remaining slices of banana and cookie crumbs, then sprinkle vegan chocolate on top and serve.
Photo credit: So Vegan
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!