Creamy Vegan Coconut Butterscotch Pudding With Pecan Pie Crumble Topping
This traditionally dairy-heavy dessert gets a vegan makeover with coconut milk, vegan butter, and coconut whipped cream.
November 15, 2022
Butterscotch’s toasty notes of caramelized sugar and molasses come through clearly in this recipe from the Little Pine cookbook. Pair with crunchy chocolate chip cookies or a chocolate drizzle for added sweetness.
What you need:
For the pudding:
2½ cups coconut milk, divided
4½ teaspoons cornstarch
1¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
For the pecan crumble topping:
1 cup flour
⅓ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup ground nutmeg
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup vegan butter, melted
½ cup coconut whipped cream
What you do:
- For the butterscotch pudding, in a small bowl, whisk 1¼ cups of coconut milk, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt to make a slurry.
- In a medium pot over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar, slowly stir in remaining coconut milk, and bring to a simmer. Slowly whisk in slurry and cook, stirring vigorously, until bubbling and thick. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Transfer pudding to an airtight container, press a layer of plastic wrap directly against surface of pudding, cover, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- For the pecan crumble topping, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in pecans, then stir in melted butter. Spread mixture evenly over prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Among four serving bowls, divide chilled butterscotch pudding. Crumble ¼ cup of pecan topping onto each bowl and top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.