Have some extra time on your hands? Up your at-home lunch game with this mouthwateringly good sandwich from the Hot For Food Comfort Classics cookbook!
What you need:
For the thousand island dressing:
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
¼ cup sweet green relish
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sambal oelek
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the fried oyster mushrooms:
2 tablespoons ground flax
6 tablespoons water
1 cup unsweetened vegan milk
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces oyster mushrooms (16 to 20)
4 to 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
For the breading:
½ cup panko-style bread crumbs
¼ cup cornmeal
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
For the sandwiches:
4 hoagie rolls
Thousand Island Dressing (recipe above)
2½ cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
3 vine tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 dill pickles, sliced into rounds
What you do:
- For the dressing, in a medium bowl, stir all ingredients together until well combined. Store in refrigerator.
- For the mushrooms, in a small bowl, add ground flax and water, mix, and let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, add milk, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic powder, basil, and pepper. Add flax mixture, stir, and pour mixture into a large ziploc bag with mushrooms. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, warm oil to 365 degrees.
- For the breading, mix together all ingredients in a bowl. Remove a few mushrooms from marinade and place directly in breading, coating evenly on all sides. Place each in hot oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Place fried mushrooms on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Repeat with remaining mushrooms in small batches.
- For the sandwiches, cut rolls in half and toast. Spread Thousand Island on inside of each roll. Layer romaine lettuce, tomato slices, pickles, and fried mushrooms on one half of each roll. Add more Thousand Island. Serve immediately while oyster mushrooms are still warm.
Photo credit: Lauren Toyota
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of