The chilies in this recipe from the Good For You cookbook add a mild smoky heat, while tangy tamarind lends a sour-sweet taste to these glazed crispy Brussels sprouts. Serve with baked tofu and steamed rice for a full meal.
What you need:
For the tamarind glaze:
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
5 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 small plum tomato, sliced lengthwise and seeded
2½ tablespoons unsweetened tamarind paste
2 guajillo chiles
2 small chiles de árbol
1 date, pitted
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon salt
For the Brussels sprouts:
4 cups Brussels sprouts, sliced lengthwise and trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 tablespoon salt
¼ cup cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- For the tamarind glaze, into a medium saucepan over low heat, add oil and garlic. Slowly cook garlic in oil until barely golden brown in color, 15 to 20 minutes. The garlic should be soft and easily pierced with a fork. Carefully add tomato slices and cook for another 10 minutes until slices are very soft and falling apart. Add tamarind, guajillo, chiles de árbol, date, and 1 tablespoon water. Increase heat to medium-high to bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and let cool so it’s just warm rather than hot, then transfer to a blender and purée for 4 minutes, scraping down sides several times to make sure all ingredients get fully incorporated. Add salt and blend once more. If sauce is too thick, add another 1 to 2 tablespoons water—consistency should be a little looser than a vinaigrette.
- For the Brussels sprouts, in a medium bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil and salt. Spread evenly (cut-side down) on sheet tray and roast in oven for 12 minutes or until tender but not mushy.
- In a large bowl, toss roasted Brussels with about 1½ tablespoons of glaze. Taste and adjust with more glaze, if needed. Garnish with cashews and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Photo credit: Antonis Achilleos
Let’s get FABULOUS! Order your copy