Serve slices of this springy cake from the Leon Fast Vegan cookbook up with mugs of warming chai to compliment the spices of this cake that’s sure to become a quick favorite.
What you need:
½ cup cooking oil
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1²⁄3 cups flour
1½ cups almond meal
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of 1 orange, divided, plus curls of peel from 1 orange, to serve
½ cup vegan plain yogurt , plus 1 heaping tablespoon per person, to serve
²⁄3 cup unsweetened vegan milk
2 teaspoons vegan apple cider vinegar
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease sides of a 9-inch cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Into a large bowl, add cardamom, flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
- Reserve 1 teaspoon of orange zest, then in a medium bowl, whisk together remaining zest, orange juice, ½ cup of yogurt, milk, and vinegar, then pour into dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until risen, firm, deep golden, and a knife comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Whisk remaining zest into remaining yogurt and serve with slices of cake.