Each bite of these chewy, crispy rice bars from VegNews food columnist’ Jackie Sobon’s new cookbook Vegan Yack Attack’s Plant-Based Meal Prep will take you back to childhood. For some added sweetness, try switching out half of the mixed-in chocolate chips with dried cranberries or diced dates to the mix.
What you need:
4 cups brown rice crisps cereal
1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
½ cup chopped roasted peanuts
¼ cup agave nectar
¼ cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons refined coconut oil
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon coarse salt
What you do:
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish, then line with parchment paper so paper hangs over edges of pan on two sides. In a large bowl, combine brown rice crisps, ½ cup of chocolate chips, and peanuts.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm agave, peanut butter, flaxseed, coconut oil, and vanilla until mixture starts to liquify. Whisk until smooth, then remove from heat and pour over cereal mixture. Fold together until no dry pockets remain and cereal is evenly coated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, and pack into an even layer using a spatula. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave remaining ½ cup chocolate chips until melted, 45 to 60 seconds. Stir melted chips until very smooth, and use a fork to drizzle chocolate over top. Sprinkle with coarse salt, and refrigerate again for at least 10 minutes.
- Using the overhanging parchment paper, carefully pull mixture out of dish. Cut rectangle in half widthwise, then slice each half into five bars. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Photo credit: Jackie Sobon
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!