Buffalo sauce plus everything seasoning pair up to make these fiery appetizers from Epic Vegan cookbook. Serve them up at your next party for a sure-fire crowd pleaser.
What you need:
For buffalo sauce:
1 cup hot sauce
¼ cup vegan butter
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
2 teaspoons sea salt
For cauliflower bites:
1 cup flour
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
¼ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1½ cups seltzer water
4 cups canola oil
1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets
2 scallions, roughly chopped
Store-bought vegan blue cheese dressing, for dipping
What you do:
- For the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine hot sauce, butter, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes, or until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the everything coating, in a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Set aside.
- For the cauliflower bites, in a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Slowly add seltzer water, whisking until well combined and a thick batter has formed.
- In a large pot, heat oil to 350 degrees. Line a plate with paper towels. Working in batches, transfer half of cauliflower florets into batter, tossing until evenly coated. Using tongs, carefully transfer a few pieces into pot and fry for 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to plate. Repeat until all cauliflower is fried.
- In a large bowl, toss ¼ of fried cauliflower bites with ¼ of buffalo sauce and 2 teaspoons of everything mixture. Transfer bites to a serving tray and repeat for remaining bites. Sprinkle plated cauliflower with any remaining everything mixture and scallions. Serve with blue cheese dressing on the side.
Photo credit: Dustin Harder
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!