What you need:
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
1 tablespoon vegan butter
3 ounces dark chocolate (58% or darker), finely chopped
2¾ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons salt
⅔ cup canola oil
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1¾ cup chocolate chips, divided
4 cups mini vegan marshmallows
24 graham cracker squares
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Using a double boiler, heat coffee, butter, and dark chocolate, stirring until chocolate is melted and ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- In a stand mixer, combine sugar, cocoa powder, and salt, and mix together with the paddle attachment. Add oil, water, and vanilla, and mix to combine. Add coffee mixture and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour and baking powder. Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely, then cut into squares.
- Once brownies are cooled and cut, melt ½ cup chocolate chips in a microwave. Drizzle melted chips over the brownies. Pile marshmallows onto brownies over melted chocolate chips. Using a pastry torch, flame marshmallows until you get some browning, being careful not to burn them. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Break graham cracker squares in half and press into the marshmallows so that they stand upright. Or crush in a plastic bag and sprinkle on top.
Photo credit: Doron Petersan