Each bite of these fudgy cookies from the Vegan Christmas and Cocoa cookbook is chewy and rich thanks to the molasses notes in the brown sugar and rich cocoa powder. Pair with a tall glass of cold oat milk, and you’ll be ready to cozy in by the fire.
What you need:
1 tablespoon finely ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons water
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup oat flour
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon oil
¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup vegan chocolate chunks, chips, or chopped chocolate bar
3 tablespoons peppermint candy cane pieces (about 2 standard- sized candy canes, chopped)
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed and water, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flours, sugars, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add oil, peppermint extract, flaxseed mixture, and chocolate chunks and stir until all flour is incorporated. Dough will be very thick.
- Divide cookie dough into 12 to 14 equal-sized balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet 3 inches apart from one another. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes. It’s better to slightly underbake than to overbake.
- Immediately after removing from oven, top each cookie with a generous pinch of candy cane pieces and lightly press down into surface of cookies. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack.