A light coffee flavor, minty chocolate dough, chunks of melty chocolate chips, drizzles of white chocolate, and crushed candy canes … it doesn’t get much more holiday than this. These perfectly soft cookies scream Christmas (and were a winner in our 2021 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest), but you can enjoy them year around.
What you need:
2 cups flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons ground coffee
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
5 tablespoons water
¾ cup vegan butter, room temperature
⅔ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons peppermint extract
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
Vegan white chocolate, for topping
Crushed candy cane pieces, for topping
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Into a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, coffee, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Into a small bowl, combine flaxseed and water, and set aside for 3 minutes. Into another bowl, whisk butter, sugar, brown sugar, flaxseed mixture, vanilla, and peppermint extract until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until set. Lightly tap baking sheet on counter to give cookies a crinkle texture. Let cool for 5 minutes on sheet, and then carefully transfer cookies to cooling rack.
- Once completely cooled, melt white chocolate in microwave in 15 second-intervals, stirring each time until smooth. Generously drizzle over cookies in a crisscross design. Sprinkle with candy cane pieces.