Smashing the potatoes in this recipe from the One-Pan Vegan cookbook makes for lots of nubbly surface area to crisp up to perfection, especially once tossed with a savory, rich miso-infused butter. Pair with your favorite vegan protein and greens for a complete meal.
What you need:
4½ pounds baby potatoes
½ cup vegan butter
1½ tablespoon miso paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 scallions, sliced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
What you do:
- Pierce each potato with a fork a few times to allow steam to release while cooking. In a microwave, place potatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until soft enough to smash. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a microwave-safe glass, place butter and microwave in 10 to 15 second intervals until melted. Stir in miso and garlic until smooth.
- Place potatoes on sheet pan and use the bottom of a glass jar or measuring cup to press down on potatoes until skin breaks. Drizzle with miso butter and use a spatula to toss to coat.
- Place in oven and roast for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with sliced scallions, sesame seeds, and fresh cilantro. Serve warm.